We’re looking for an Principal Data Engineer to be part of our Analytics and Data Science team.
Forma.ai is a Series A startup based in Toronto that’s reinventing sales intelligence for leading enterprise organizations. Forma.ai helps Fortune 500 companies automate and optimize sales compensation and critical sales operations functions.
Our growth has been fueled by our passion for fundamentally changing and shaping how companies use sales intelligence to drive business strategy.
We’re welcoming equally driven individuals who are excited about creating something big!
About the team:
Our Engineering team is fast-growing and highly focused on having an impact.
Engineers on this team build out data processing modules for both internal and external products. These are advanced workflow, data visualization, and business intelligence systems designed for Forma.ai’s specific needs.
This team is tightly integrated and works closely with various internal departments on a day-to-day basis to build features and solve problems effectively.
What you’ll be doing:
Forma.ai’s data platform takes in a large volume of data and variable data points and processes them according to a highly-configurable rules engine. Reporting to the Manager of Data Platform, the Principal Data Engineer will play a critical role in the evolution of our next-gen Databricks/Spark-based data platform.
You’ll be part of the efforts to scale our ecosystem which processes ever-increasing volumes of data, taking advantage of burst scaling and distributed computing paradigms. You’ll be expected to drive team discussions on solution implementation and design explorations and may be asked to work on custom customer-specific extensions or features.
What we’re looking for:
- Solid experience in software development
- Strong Python development experience
- Experience building data ingestion, managing the flow of data, and processing pipelines (after all that is at the heart of what we do!)
- Experience with SQL – not just writing queries but schema design and query optimization
- Experience with Spark and/or Databricks is a plus
- Ability to lead and communicate technical product issues with disciplines across multiple teams and drive complex initiatives independently
- Strong sense of customer empathy and an interest in being involved in the product direction
Technologies we use:
- Backend: Python, Django, Postgres
- Data Orchestration: Databricks/Spark, Dagster
- Infrastructure: AWS, Docker, GitHub Actions
What you can expect from us:
- Meaningful compensation. In addition to your base salary, you’ll join our employee stock ownership plan to further recognize your contributions to Forma.ai’s success
- Minimum vacation. All Formadillos (yup, that’s what we call ourselves!) are entitled to a minimum of 15 days vacation so you can rest and recharge
- Healthcare coverage. We have a full benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, and a paid parental leave program
- Learning and development. Access the resources you want to help you grow in your role by utilizing our $750 yearly training stipend
- Open communication. You’ll get to participate in weekly, company-wide stand-ups to understand our organizational priorities better
- Growth. You’ll have a huge opportunity to build a career for yourself and gain the type of experience you’re looking for – whether that’s as an individual contributor or as a people leader
- Work flexibility. Formadillos have the option to work where they are most productive, whether that’s in our Toronto office, from their home across Canada, or a combination of both.
- Work well, together. We’re real. We have kids and pets. Mortgages and student loans. We’re in this together, so no matter how brilliant any one of us is, we always play nice with one another – no exceptions.
- Be precise. Be relentless. We believe complacency breeds failure, so we set new goals as quickly as we achieve them. We persist in the face of adversity, learn from our mistakes, and push each other to continuously improve. The status-quo is kryptonite.
- Love our tech. Love our customers. Our platform solves a very complex problem in a currently underserved market. While everyone at Forma isn’t customer-facing, we’re all customer-focused. Maybe even slightly customer-obsessed.
Our commitment to you:
At Forma.ai, we’re diverse by design. We’re committed to having a workforce that reflects the communities in which we live and work. We also aim to have a barrier-free recruitment and selection process. We’ll work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of effort. You’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match the job description. There are many paths to a successful career and we’re looking forward to reading yours.
Please note all interviews are currently being conducted virtually.
We thank all applicants for their interest.